[Jacob-list] Trimming horns

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 23:10:31 EDT 2001

I just trimmed a drop horn today....and slept at a Holiday Inn.
We have about 20-25 Jacob rams and any horn growth/trimming questions go
through a series of evaluations primarily related to the health of the Jacob.

If it is trimmed will it have any permanance? Horns grow in circumference and
length.
Will a trim involve the horn core?  Does a trim accomplish a change in
direction of growth if that is indicated?  What does the trimming save or
does it just delay an eventual dehorning or slaughter?

On a 2H, if the interference is close to the jaw, that is, the horn growth is
converging on the jaw, trimming will probably be temporary.  The growth of
the horn through its directional arc will continue and any area trimmed one
year will have been replaced by the growth the following year and the
circumference will be greater.  Convergent 2H growth seems to be heritable
and trimming does not seem to offer a long term solution; convergent 2H
growth (jaw impedence) seems to get worse over time.

On a 4H, the drop horn also grows in length and circumference.  Unlike the
convergence of the 2H which tends to squeeze the jaw like a vice, the
direction on the horn tip and arc of the drop horn for a 4H should be
considered (e.g., going into the jaw or neck).  In this case the 'point' of
the drop horn is often the issue and has a greater chance of 'permanent' fix
by trimming.  In many cases, removal of the tip at a point near the shortest
radius that represents the interference can give positive results. If one
imagines the right half of a Q as the drop horn, removal at the 'line' making
the Q may be sufficient to change growth direction.  After removal of the
tip, the drop horn will continue to grow in length and will tend to grow out
'below' the area of current interference.

A horn has a very porous core of blood (part of the body's 'cooling" system).
 The core of the horn extends from about an inch from the tip (say 3/8" in
dia) to the skull. The horn is also very firmly attached to the skull.  The
core is loaded with blood but there is a margin where the core and keratin
sheath meet that is not as rich. In some cases, weak drop horns may appear to
be very "thin" and have, at best a minimal core (like aberrant horns seen on
Jacob ewes).   Small sections of horn can be removed with a hacksaw, coping
saw, or string saw.  If in doubt, make multiple trims.  Saw faster the closer
you think you are to the core.  Don't be alarmed by the small or smoke. The
heat is doing a little cauterizing.  Do not try to cut horn material or even
thin aberrant horn type problems with a 'hoof trimmer'.  We have three people
around for any horn trimming...two holders and a cutter.   We have used the
horse shoe rasp to shave any sharp edges.

As a general rule, any removal of a horn must be done by a vet. because it is
a surgery and the skull must be packed.  You can do minor trimming.  You may
accidentally trim into the core even using a multiple trim approach....have
some minor blood flow.  For broken horns, horn trimmings, etc., we have used
spider webs (lots of them) to make a gauze bandage; we have used paper towel;
and  in one case used duct tape over spider webs.

If you have any other 'horned' sheep sheherds nearby, ask for some hand
holding.
Good luck.  Fred Horak