[Jacob-list] Help!

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 28 10:48:53 EDT 2001

I have seen this problem on some of my lambs.  I see blood around the base of
the horn, sometimes some of the wool is missing.  Will spread to around the
eyes with some tearing etc.  Generally no infection.  Found out that either
the biting flies are attracted to an injury around the base of the horn
(could have butted heads and the other sheep's horn could have cut the skin
around the base; sometimes they injure themselves when scratching around the
horns--mine use sections of fence, hay bale feeders, etc) or the flies simply
start biting there as it is hard to swish them away.  In either case, the fly
bites can cause an inflammation that will get worse with time.  I have had
some ewes that teared so badly that they lost some of their wool on the sides
of their faces.  They had swollen, painful eyes.

The treatment: Clean the affected area(s) with clean water.  Dab excess water
away with a clean cloth.  Put ISP (available from Jeffers), or Noah's Kingdom
First Aid Ointment on the wound.  If you don't have either of these,
carefully sprinkle garlic on the injury (sounds weird, but garlic is slightly
anti-bacterial and also helps keep the flies away).  Providone ointment
(available at most pharmacies) spread thinly will also help heal the wound.
Finally, dab Swat (fly repellent for livestock/horses) around the affected
area.  Do not let it get into the eyes.  In my case, I dab it down the center
of the nose, around the base of the horns, perhaps on the cheek or above the
eye (well above).

When treated like this, mine have recovered completely in less than a week.

Prevention:  take note of which sheep seem to be prone to this (I have two).
At the first signs of irritation dab on some Swat to keep the flies away.

I also add garlic to the mineral salt:  10 cups mineral salt
                                                        1 cup kelp meal
                                                        1 cup garlic

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm