[Jacob-list] overgrown horns

AMAYESN at aol.com AMAYESN at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 16:34:57 EDT 2001

Hello list-
I have just joined your list in the hope that someone can help me with a problem. I have a 16 month old Jacob x Barb ram. His horns closely resemble the sketch on the website, with the exception that his left lower horn has more of a curve. The problem is that if it continues to grow in its present path, it will literally grow into the underside of the ram's jaw.
My question to you is how do I "trim" this horn? What can it be cut with, should I expect bleeding, etc. Is this something maybe my farrier can do when he's here to trim horses or is it a veterinary operation?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never had any sheep or goats before that had horns large enough to be concerned with trimming them. It's obvious that something will have to be done for the guy, so I could sure use some advice on what's best. Thanks.