[Jacob-list] Re: New Sheep, Old Flock

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Tue Jun 26 15:27:00 EDT 2001

Hey folks, just got a Christmas-in-June present......

I was gifted four sheep from a closed flock in Massachusetts.  The
"matriarch" ewe (8 years old) is a Lasseau ewe; she was bred by a Fieldwood
Ram.  I have the mom and three of her offspring with this ram.

What I find SOOOOO interesting is how different flocks become.  My Northcote
sheep all have a large percentage of black wool, and all bleach to light
apricot.  My Killorglin sheep are all "85%ers" with heavy graying and blue
eyes.  Well, this bunch has their own set of "characteristics:"  all four
are largely white (they range from 65-90% white); have brown horns; and are
yellow-eyed.  Two of them have large eye patches on one side and small
patches on the other; and the one with the least amount of black (10%) has
the largest black muzzle patch of the lot!

I love finding these small closed flocks.....now if i can just train them to
the electric fence before they attempt to crash through it....again.....:-)

thom