[Jacob-list] hay feeder

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 13:27:42 EDT 2001

I have a contraption made of the cattle panels also.  I put two sections
together, v-shaped at the bottom, supported by t-shaped 2 by fours.  The "v"
of the panels rests on 2 foot wide sheet of plywood elevated about 1 foot off
the ground.  Most of the excess hay drops onto the plywood, which also serves
as a shelf for placing feed.  Since there is room to eat on either side of
the cattle panels, one piggy sheep can't get all the grain for herself, as
the other just go around to the other side.  I put small wheels on one end so
I can drag it around if needed.  I hope this makes sense.

On another topic, there was a discussion last spring about the special sounds
that mama sheep make to their newborn lambs.  I thought it interesting when a
few weeks ago, right before weaning, as we were worming and vaccinating the
lambs, one of them injured one of his horns.  He was carrying on as we were
treating him, and his mother stood by watching, making the "mama sounds" the
whole time.  It seemed very sweet, as if she were trying to comfort him.  I
have never before heard a ewe make this sound except when the lambs are very
small.

Sharon