[Jacob-list] Why a registry?

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 14:31:24 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/25/01 9:58:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
messen at socket.net writes:

<< As Joan Franklin said:
     "Very good point, and one that I have made often, too. In Michigan, I
can show     you more Jacobs that aren't registered than are, and I remember
Edd making
     that comment about Jacobs in his part of the country. People buy them
for
     many different reasons, and a lot of those people aren't interested in
     registering them. " >>
<< Three thoughts come to mind:
1.  In this area prices are not better for registered sheep.
2.  Sheep can be registered any time as long as the registries are open.
3.  Why should anybody want to join either of the associations when all they
can agree on is that they are better than the other? >>

I beg your indulgence and acknowledge that these are not my thoughts but
those of rare breed conservators (FAO: Management of small populations at
risk; ALBC: Conservation breeding handbook.)... not just Jacob breeders...
but I have tried to apply apply their principles to Jacob conservators and
breeders.

There are many reasons for having Jacobs, there are many reasons for breeding
Jacobs.  But having and breeding Jacobs only contributes to conserving Jacobs
if pedigrees and breeding results are documented, its genotype protected and
performance monitored.    Conserving the genetic Jacobness of the imported
sheep that comprised the several imports and the early lines depends on
records.  This is even more important given: a) the breed origin is unknown,
b) its genetic distance from other breeds is unknown, c) its genotype and
genetic importance are not well known, d) atypical offspring happen.

An association whose purpose is conserving a rare breed has two fundamental
purposes: 1) maintaining a record of progeny and pedigree and 2) monitoring
the breeds performance.  Performance is a general term including all that
flows from the breed genotype (effective population, generational
inbreeding.. and phenotype and all those other traits associated with
management, genetic health and conservation breeding).

A breed assoc generally uses a Breed Standard, maintains a registry to keep
track of parents and progeny, generally it is closed...only progeny of
registered parents are eligible which helps to maintain 'purity' and pedigree
records.  Open registries.. send a picture and some documents generally
include more 'non-pure' entries because pedigree records are not required.

Registries that include 'pure bred' stock based on phenotype and exclude
related stock that is not matched to phenotype tend to skew records to Breed
Standard phenotype and minimize or eliminate other valuable genotype, health,
and breed trends.  For example, in 1999 I responded to a Mid Atlantic school
and last year to a CA grad student interested in trying to identify the
genetic mechanisms for the HNM (multiple horn) locus.  All they wanted was a
record of 100 pedigrees with horn count...but it must include every progeny.
No records, no project.

For rare breeds or those at risk, multiple registries are not recommended
because breed conservation measures (pedigrees, performance, effective
population measures, generational inbreeding, etc) are at best estimates from
each.  Multiple registries, more often than not, have variant Breed
Standards; candidates (even with identical pedigrees) may be accepted in one
and not the other.

Contrary to popular belief, a rare breed association (keeper of pedigrees and
breed performance) cannot turn a $60 unproven animal of unknown pedigree and
genotype into a $300 animal with a piece of paper.   But the belief
continues; faith by definition means without supportive evidence, I accept.

Belonging to an association is a melding of purpose.  "I belong to ....
because...". Participating in a breed conservation association is a deeper
commitment to conservation; building pedigrees, documenting results,
monitoring breed genotype and performance. The breed collectively is advanced
by the participation of many individuals.  Leadership of a association whose
purpose is conservation is a deep commitment; a surrender of part of one's
self to conserving the breed and meeting the needs of the breed and member
flock objectives...even when the flock objective is not principally
conservation.

One rare breed association is better than two.  One association is not
"better" than another: each has strengths and weaknesses, each contributes to
conserving the breed, monitoring its performance, educating other breeders,
responding to member interest and needs.

Fred Horak