[Jacob-list] scratchy head

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 14:48:58 EDT 2001

I have struggled with this horn related skin problem with a few of my animals
and tried all sorts of remedies and had all sorts of tests run.  I even made
little hats for the most stricken of my animals...I used a pony mesh face
mask and cuts holes for the horns; I then taped the edges of the holes to the
horns!  This actually worked well, but Jacobs are quite determined to remove
their helpful, cute hats and often succeed.

I used peroxide to clean the stricken area (a drying agent), a systemic and
local fly treatment, antibiotic cream, and strong hydrocotisone cream (to
prevent itching).  It is the scratching that takes a simple rash to the level
of oozing, swollen mess.  The disease seems to have definite hereditary
components...it runs in familes.  My Cornell vet thinks it is caused by an
allergic reaction to horn fly activity.  All cultures have shown nothing of
note.  I buy the genetic allergy theory, especially since only a few related
animals get the disease, and the cortisone is so effective.  It is definitely
a disease that ceases when the colder days of fall set in.  My farm sits
above a huge pond and is surronded by forests...horn fly paradise.  I did
notice that there was some improvement as to the severity of the disease as
animals aged.

Because the disease is very time intensive and also icky, I often gave
serious thought to culling afflicted animals.  Then Fall would come, and I
relaxed when swelling receeded and hair grew back.  I did a get a beginning
case of fly strike in an afflicted ram.  Screw worm spray cleared that up,
but I was ever more vigilant.

I'm glad this problem is being discussed...it used to really plague me that
the vets didn't have a clue.  By the way, Shetlands (male) NEVER got the
disease.

Jeanne Massey