[Jacob-list] I NEED HELP DIAGNOSING A LAMB ILLNESS

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Sat Jul 21 15:36:40 EDT 2001

This ram lamb is six months old and weighs 40 lbs. He has been in good health
until several days ago when I noticed him laying down a lot. Friday morning
he had difficulty getting up as though his legs were weak. I took him to the
vet and he was given 3cc of Bo-Se and pencillin (his temp was 102.7). The vet
felt that with the hot, dry weather it was probably white muscle disease.
This morning he seemed to be better, up and moving around when I fed, but
when I came home this afternoon, he is much worse. He tries, but is unable to
get up. This lamb is in a pen with two ewe lambs, and they are fine. He is
eating well, has a good, clear eye, and is alert. The only thing that has
changed in his diet is the sweet feed. I ran out and borrowed some from my
nephew. I know he feeds a higher percentage of protein, probably around 18%.
I normally feed 12%. I have double checked the grain for mold, or whatever.
It's fine. The lamb is up to date on tetanus and Covexin 8. I have called the
vet, and he is at a loss to know what is wrong. This is very, very
discouraging. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Joan Franklin