[Jacob-list] I NEED HELP DIAGNOSING A LAMB ILLNESS

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 16:39:14 EDT 2001

Checked in my copy of "Managing Your Ewe and her
newborn lamb" book by Laura Lawson, and looked through
flowcharts in the back. Have noted pages for reference
if you have a copy of the book. Keep us posted! Sorry
to hear the little guy isn't feeling well!

Did this lamb recently receive an injection? If so,
could be a condition called mechanical nerve damage
(page 280).

Was lamb recently weaned? Could be Weaning stress
(page 296)

Does lamb have any cuts/wounds? Could be fly strike.
(page 307)

Was tail docked? Could be a dock infection. (Page 307)

There was also some talk of Vitamin E and Selenium
deficiency causing movement problems, but usually with
other symptoms like diarrhea and earlier occurrence
than the age of your ram lamb.

Book also mention injury from pasture play can
sometimes cause this type of injury/reaction.

Hope this helps!!

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm
Home of Jacob Sheep