[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 16:50:07 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/11/01 12:02:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
stonecroft235 at juno.com writes:

<<Is shedding definitely proven to be a "primitive" trait or is it more
 related to nutrition or lack thereof?

What has apparently been observed is that shedding or molting is a trait
associated with primitve breeds (more often double coated).  The best example
in modern times is probably the Soay on St. Kilda; the fine fibers and some
primary fiber regularly molt in the Spring.  The Soay were pretty close to if
not specifically classified as "wild" or feral.  The molt is diurnal or
seasonal, distinct from a 'break'.

There are other causes for shedding; a break in the wool. These can be
environmental (most often nutrition, stress) and/or genetic.  An observation
that is little more than interesting; we have 12 rams on pasture, all are
treated the same.  For the past two years I have not gotten to shear them
until June and when I get to their field, the same two rams have shed about
half their wool.  The ewes can 'shed' but this is most often associated with
a fiber break from lambing and cotting.  How many variables can be kept
constant so one thinks they are measuring what is at issue?

 << If a shedding, primitive sheep  living in a primitive setting, fending
for itself, is removed from that  environment, parasites treated, and fed a
diet containing more
 protein---would it still shed?

Good question.  The shedding (even plucking) of the secondary fiber leaves
much of the primary fiber on the animal.  If the protein diet is increased
(assume it is not sheared) one might suspect there should be no effect on
molting but perhaps there may be an effect on the number of molts. (Some
sheep molted twice per year.)

<<There are Jacob breeders with sheep who  shed - and breeders with sheep who
have never shed -- is that condition related just to genetics OR is nutrition
a factor -- or is it both?  Or  don't we know?

Your penultimate and ultimate questions are the ULTIMATE QUESTIONS.  Perhaps
someplace some differentiation between molting and shedding might be
valuable.  I have sheared a dark ram that had cottted but, because it
remained on the animal, I would not consider that shedding.  I'm slow to
shear and if I waited for it to "molt away" the ram would overheat and die.

 Sue Martin >>