[Jacob-list] primitive traits

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Wed Jul 11 15:17:40 EDT 2001

Primitive traits to me are:

first - visual - non commercial looking - narrow nose patterns, testicles
carried high in the males - cow hocking i.e. ability to place feet in a
narrow walk pattern - a kimpy, shedding, short type wool before man
manipulated the wool types [and this wool type was evident to me in the old
American type Jacobs in the early years]  = look at a Mouflon and then look
as say a Commercial breed sheep - a certain carriage, look, stance - if you
have seen it you know it......maybe just a non lethargic look.

second - ability to thrive on sparse vegetation,  ability to survive harsh
environments when needed - ability multiply their species without mans
imput - the early Jacobs were able to do the above 3 things and still
should be.  Shetlands, Mouflons, Soay, etc fall into these
categories.  Easy birthing -  extremely important to me in primitive traits.

Thru the years the animals that I have raised I certainly consider as
pmitive type animals - Mouflon, Navajo-Churro wool , ChurroHair, Shetland,
Scottish Blackface [althought you could not consider these as a
kimpy=shedding wool breed!!!!!]Fainting Goats, Water Buffalo, Maran
chickens, Hamburg chickens [although they were not broody], Fallow deer,
Great Pyrenees dogs, - none  of these breeds were demanding animals - now
Wilshire Horn, Texas Dall [bred primarily for Trophy Horns], any other type
of Texas trophy type animals that had been "made" in that hot, sands, type
environment,  Angora goats, etc were horribly time consuming - internal
parasites, foot problems, prolapses, fly strike, pulling lambs, etc - did
not take me long to figure our that they were NOT for me.  Once man has
manipulated an animal for MORE milk, wool, meat, or any other by product it
looses its primitive traits = BUT in the rural mountains area of the South
you still find localized pigs, sheep, goats, etc that have been on farms or
in area that still used them as quick meals or something that can be
utilized as food without preservation even in warm/hot  weather. = Guiney
hogs, Nervous/Fainting/brush type goats, local sheep breeds [these still
have a roane/Tunis type look. = you still find these type sheep in our area.

Edd Bissell
New Market, Tn.
www.eddbissell.com