[Jacob-list] (no subject)

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 17:53:47 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/11/01 1:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stonecroft235 at juno.com writes:

> Is shedding definitely proven to be a "primitive" trait or is it more
> related to nutrition or lack thereof?  If a shedding, primitive sheep
> living in a primitive setting, fending for itself, is removed from that
> environment, parasites treated, and fed a diet containing more
> protein---would it still shed?  There are Jacob breeders with sheep who
> shed - and breeders with sheep who have never shed -- is that condition
> related just to genetics OR is nutrition a factor -- or is it both?  Or
> don't we know?

I'm a stickler for good nutrition, and I mean year round, not just when I'm
showing them in the summer. I buy the best alfalfa available and each ewe
gets her ration of sweet feed daily. (I have stopped graining the rams as I
found that it causes too many fights and injuries.) And, all of them have
free access to minerals formulated for this area. My sheep are neither too
thin, nor too fat. I think it is safe to say that the partial shedding I see
in my flock is not due to lack of nutrition. I'm led to believe that it is a
primitive trait.

Joan Franklin