[Jacob-list] Showing

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 3 06:01:17 EDT 2001

We have been showing and exhibiting Jacob since our first beautiful
wether from Fieldwood Farm in the 1980's.  We saw our first ones on
exhibit at the Md. Sheep & Wool Festival with Susanna Davy from
Fieldwood.  We never minded being at the end of the line of judging.  It
was an opportunity for the Jacob to stand out by itself and be seen.
Occasionally we would show in the Natural Colored Wool Class if the
Jacob had at least 35% color.  We even came in second at Altamont, NY
with the judge being Glen Eidman who was familiar with the breed.
At that time people had no idea what this animal was.  Most thought it
was a goat because it had horns.  Today, the general comment is Oh,
there are the Jacob sheep.  18 years of promoting the breed has made
progress.
We have encouraged showing Jacob either in a Classic Breed Show , or
participating in a Card Grading show.  In this type of show the Jacob is
evaluated against the Breed Standard.  This eliminates the judging on a
meat standard.
It is advisable to either send a copy of the Breed Standard to the Judge
or the Show Chairman to be given to the judge.  It has been our
experience that the judges are grateful for the additional knowledge.
It is very helpful if you are really in to showing the Jacob to
encourage other breeders to attend the show and have enough animals to
produce your own show.  Most times you need about 5 breeders and 25
sheep.
As long as you do not take winning so seriously that you lose your
perspective of the breed, showing can be beneficial to the promotion of
our beautiful, unique Jacob.
Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg, Joy Farm, NJ