[Jacob-list] Jacob shows and primative traits

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Mon Jul 2 15:29:04 EDT 2001

I don't know if it is possible to define primative traits without having too many exceptions to the rules to make it worthwhile, but I can tell you what is NOT primative. "Modern" animals are selected to have an inflexible broad ligament which overlays the hips. This supports selection in favor of extended loin area, full thighs[as in the JSS breed standerd], level hips, reproductive problems, and dairy cows that almost fall down when they try to urinate while standing on concrete. These animals will tend to win shows, yet I and most of the rest of us saw our first Jacob at a breed show. My approach would be to go ahead and show, but take a certain amount of pride in losing. Neal Grose