[Jacob-list] Re: Showing

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Tue Jul 3 18:47:18 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/3/2001 12:56:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:

> As long as you do not take winning so seriously that you lose your
> perspective of the breed, showing can be beneficial to the promotion of our

Well said Edie.  Bringing Jacob sheep to shows and fairs is one of the best
ways I know of to get the word out about this unique breed.

We show and we do it for three reasons; to educate people about rare breeds,
to market/sell sheep and to earn premiums (which help pay the feed bill).  We
have a very diverse looking flock.  Some of them are pretty, some are not.
Some are light and some are dark.  We have all styles of fleeces, some finer
and some coarser, some with freckles and some with quilting.  And because we
try to keep diverse bloodlines, we have some that are primitive in build,
some that aren't, and some in between.  Despite the variety, ALL of our sheep
are purebred Jacobs, out of generations of purebred Jacob sheep.

We DO NOT breed for shows.  We DO look though our flock prior to shows and
select animals to take which we believe will best represent our farm and the
breed.  And, based on the variety and diversity of the Jacob sheep I see in
Region 1 (my only frame of reference) I'd say that the breeders here are
doing a pretty good job of preserving these sheep in all the styles ALLOWED
within the breed standards.

A few days ago Debbie B. noted "I just came back from a large show and none
of the Jacobs that I would consider primitive looking even came close to
placing. The judge considered them too small to be able to evaluate at this
time".  I was at the same show (the Black Sheep Gathering) and my
recollection is that the sheep whom the judge referred to as being "too small
to be able to evaluate at this time" were the lambs.  The lamb classes were
large and the lambs shown varied quite a bit in age, and there's no question
that the older a lamb is the easier it is to evaluate.  And for the record...
I'm not sure I agree that none of the sheep who placed could be considered
"primitive looking".

I do recall the judge stating a number of times that his placings were "just
his opinion" and that "no one should change their breeding programs based on
his opinion".  Those are important words to remember.  Placing well at shows
is certainly nice, but it's far more important to understand your sheep and
to know in your own mind if they are representative of the breed you've
chosen.  If you're happy with your sheep then that's all that really matters.
 And every now and then you get lucky and the judge agrees with you!

Back to skirting wool (sigh...)

Karen Lobb

bide a wee farm ~ registered Jacob & Navajo-Churro Sheep
bideawee at iname.com ~ www.bideaweefarm.com
19562 NE Calkins Lane, Newberg, OR 97132 ~ 503-538-7987