[Jacob-list] electrolytes

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 23 21:02:04 EST 2001

I use merrick electrolytes which can be ordered from Jeffers
(1-800-Jeffers) or from Premier 1-800-282-6631.

In a pinch last year, the vet recommended Pedialyte.  Said it was much
better balanced for sheep/lambs than Gatorade.  Of course the sheep
electrolytes are cheaper, but Pedialyte can be found at any drug and
food store.  I used the unflavored, but other flavors would do as well.
For a lamb with scours, I used Pedialyte in place of water in the milk
replacer.  If the scours did not clear up, I doubled the amount of water
(pedialyte) when I made up the formula.

Another shortcut I learned to do (since I work outside the home) was to
take a clean 16-20 oz pop bottle and dump the appropriate amount of milk
replacer in it (use a funnel).  The bottle was placed in the
refrigerator.  I pulled out the needed bottle and added warm water from
the tap.  Saved time in the early morning hours.  The reason why I put
the bottles in the refrigerator even though they had dry powder in them,
is that the bottles were never dry when I needed to mix up another
batch.  Moisture and powder can be a bad combination if left at room
temperature for an extended period of time.

Kate Shirley, Humbug Farm