[Jacob-list] Slovenian Sheep!

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Tue Jan 23 20:58:24 EST 2001

I've noticed that most of the popular breeds of sheep come from Great
Britain, Ramboullet and Merino being notable exceptions. I did a web
search to find out what kind of sheep they have in Slovenia, where my
grandparents came from, and found an interesting website. One of the
breeds has a somewhat Jacobian face, as shown at:

http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/zoo/publikacije/avtohtone_pasme/eng/The%20Jezersko%20Solcava%20sheep.html

If you click on the little hut and arrow icon at the bottom of the page,
you'll get to the home page. There are four types of Slovenian sheep in
the main index; Bovec, two Pramenka types, and the Jezersko-Solcava
referenced above. (Interesting off topic note; the famous Lipizzan
horses come from Lipica, Slovenia.)

I would suppose that there are many breeds of sheep scattered around the
world that most of us never heard of because they weren't developed for
the international market. If anyone knows of an "obscure sheep of the
world" website, I'd appreciate the URL.

Paul Intihar