[Jacob-list] Hypocalcemia in a pregnant ewe

iseespots iseespots at email.msn.com
Sun Jan 21 07:23:24 EST 2001

Tina,

How do you know this is delaying her labor/delivery?  Maybe she is NOT due
yet.

I had a Shetland go down with this and pulled her out without a hitch and
without IVs.  This was one that I just hit with everything on about 30
minute intervals until SOMETHING worked.  I used the horrendous looking blue
cattle calcium supplement---and she looked blue after we were done.  That
did the trick.  She delivered twin lambs on time 3 or so weeks later.

I used Laura Lawson's books, the Merck vet manual, and an English-based
sheep vet farm manual for ideas.  The more resources you use, the better you
will be prepared to handle emergencies---plus come up with ideas that make
the vets proud.

MEH
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, and German Angora Rabbits,
colored German Angora crosses and a few French.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.