[Jacob-list] Ram down, help!

Chovhani melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 20 12:03:10 EST 2001

Thanks Robin. Losing Arthur is a major setback for us. Not only was he
giving us first-rate lambs, he was a gentle ram, easy to work with. Hard to
replace. I am very tempted now to keep a ram lamb from this Spring's lambs,
I know it would be a very risky in-breed putting him to his Mother next
year, but getting good rams where I live is very hard, and I could always
just breed her to the Polypays and get meat lambs, and use him on the other
Jacob girls. Want to know the final irony in this whole story? We had a
"surprise" lamb in the Fall, a beautiful 4 horned ram with perfect markings.
A neighbour said she'd buy him as a wether, so we did the deed. Now her
marriage is breaking up and she doesn't want him. I'm going to have some
fantastic fleeces, but that's all he'll give me, alas.

I guess it was just my turn, we've always been so lucky, no accidents, no
disease, no genetic problems. Even the lamb born not breathing last year
turned out fine. Usually I get there in time, but this guy must have gone
down so much overnight it was too late to save him this morning. Last thing
last night he was his usual self, just not really hungry.

Melanie
http://www.geocities.com/onionperogie
http://earthhome.tripod.com