[Jacob-list] 300%

Kate Barrett kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Tue Feb 20 15:13:54 EST 2001

Well I doubt this is a time record but it is a funny story.  My daughter I
and were in Boise this weekend, and left the boys in charge of the
lambing.....had one dorsetXromney ewe ready to go I thought.  The boys were
quite nervous, but the ewe held off until 1 Pm on Monday...we were suppposed
to be back by 3, didn't make it till 5 PM.   She had delivered a nice little
ewe lamb...but I had been expecting more, as she was quite  large..As soon
as I got home I went out here, and about 5:30 I went in....darned if there
weren't a bunch of legs.  By 5:40 I had two more big ram lambs out of
there....I guess patience is OK, but I am wondering how long these lambs
would have hung out fighting about who goes first if  I hadn't pulled.  The
ewe looked uncomfortable, but was not really straining or pushing, or
anything serious...she had the little ewe all dried off and nursing.  The
ewe lamb weighed 9 pounds, and the ram lambs 11 and 12 pounds respectively.
She had a lot of lamb in there!!!! All 3 are fine this morning, I can't wait
to get home and see them again.  I have 7 more ewes to go , and I hope not
21 more lambs!!! I am just happy these little ones look well, and that I got
home before dark!.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs