[Jacob-list] Ketosis Case Update

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Sun Feb 18 13:53:45 EST 2001

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions on how to deal with my
ketosis-stricken ewe. I didn't have a lot of the chemicals people
mentioned, so I improvised a bit, but she's standing and eating hay and
grain on Sunday, after being found down on Thursday.

We got her into the infirmary stall and gave her a pint of molasses
solution via the drencher we use for worming solutions. We kept her
hydrated and fed through sugar water solutions the next day. After
reading the various suggestions for treatment, we started giving her the
replacement milk the bottle lamb is being fed to get some calcium into
her. We also ground up two B-complex tablets in each feeding. It all
seems to have worked. This morning, she was using her horns to keep
Philippa, the bad mom ewe, away from her side of the grain tray.

After she's fully recovered, I'll post the play-by-play of her sickness,
our treatments, and her rate of recovery on our website.

Thanks again to all who helped.

Paul Intihar
Rainbow Farm
Joppa, Maryland