[Jacob-list] Rammed !

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Sat Feb 3 19:43:29 EST 2001

Well, now I know what everyone's been talking about with being careful around
rams.  Boy did mine get me !  I've been following all the advice about not
turning my back to the ram, and not  hand feeding or petting him.  All was
well until I went out with hay when the sheep were off behind the barn. As I
threw the first of the hay, the sheep came running and before I tossed the
rest, I felt a terrific blow to my thigh.  I never even saw him coming, and
he sure nailed me.  I was stunned and hurting, but I managed to grab a nearby
shovel and whack him a couple times.  I don't know how much it bothered him
but I felt better !  I did think of Wayne's advice of throwing him to the
ground and reminding him who's boss,  but circumstances would not allow that.
  I now keep a small leather riding crop by the pasture gate and grab it when
I go in.  I haven't had to use it (the ram gives me wide berth now)  but a
quick slap on the nose stings without doing any damage. And its more portable
than the shovel.;-)  Wiser but limping, Robin Casasanto