[Jacob-list] Rammed !

Paul and Kate Survis kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Sat Feb 3 20:11:23 EST 2001

I wonder if it is the time of year or what.  Both of my rams have been aggresive.  ANd previously they were quite docile.  Of course I removed all the ewes to the lambing pens...but I was really encouraged by the rams to do it. I don't need to be watching them while I am trying to help a ewe lambing.
I had fed the grain in the small pen, and Ernie the Dorset ram ususally stays in to make sure everything is all cleaned up.  I was feeeding the hay, and notice that one ewe was very well bagged up.  Forgetting previous cautions and not usually one to turn my back on a ram I knelt down to inspect the ewe closer.  We have quite a bit of snow on the ground, and I never heard him coming.  Ernie rammed me staight on my head, knocking me back a good 5 feet....I went flying!!! I got up and he showed no inclination to continue his attack, I guess I looked like I wanted to ram, with my head down and all!! I did have a headache the rest of the day.  The next night the Jacob ram, who is in with the llama and the horses got aggresive with me during feeding , and I ended up having to grab his horns and haul him to the fence with me, as he would not quit.  I did push him down to the ground, but he got back up  He has been good since, but these two instances were quite close together, and from rams who were previously quite docile. Whadsup?  Is it Spring in the air, or are they just perturbed they no longer have the girls to bug?
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs.