[Jacob-list] Response to Gordon, Scotland

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 20:33:34 EST 2001

Hi again,
         I have huge regard for Helen Baillie, her excellent sheep, and for
all the work she has done/does for the Society. My own viewpoint is that the
UK Jacob is as big now as it will get, but, as for handling, my sheep are
rarely tipped up and are shorn by me by hand in a head holder - sometimes
even on the trimming stand, very relaxing for all concerned.
    The larger sheep are usually less likely to vault the fence as I approach
although there are always nutty ewe lambs around, and as Betty Berlacher says
elsewhere the bills are the same whatever the size, though we have no trouble
with joint sizes - just getting legs and shoulders halved and sometimes
rolled for our smaller customers, and also triplets finish smaller in any
case.
    As you are on the Scottish committee presumably you have discussed your
concerns with the committee? It is obviously in everyone's interest to
promote Jacob stock sales to younger people or we head for extinction in all
senses, man and beast. LOL. The "third type" that some judges talk about of
slightly smaller Jacob resides in the Welsh hill flocks but it's a long way
to go sightseeing at this time of year!
     I have sold 10 registered beasts very recently under Autumn Movements
all to smallholders - indeed, additionally, as a member of the FGSC (Fenland
Goatkeepers and Smallholders) there is never a problem selling even
commercial ewe lambs and sometimes unregistered tups in a "normal" year...if
we ever have one again.
    Time to tuck in the ewes,
    TM-S