[Jacob-list] primitive or standardized larger

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sat Dec 29 17:13:08 EST 2001

Isn't it quite wonderful that there's room in the world for both types of jacobs?  There's folks like me who want jacobs, but couldn't handle the big ones...besides I want ones that do the lambing themselves and don't prolapse!  And there are folks who want to have the big ones because it is absolutely true that you pay the same $40 to the butcher regardless of lamb size, so you make a better profit on the big ones.

It may well be true that the average American eats only one pound of lamb a year, but we tend to sell to the un-average Americans who want to eat lots of lamb, but want small roasts, small chops, small portions, no fat to speak of, etc.  I don't make any money selling to commercial meat groups, but sell to individuals who like lamb and want a freezer full of it, and who prefer the redder, smaller jacob cuts, with no fat on them, to the more standardized, commercial bigger legs, etc.

Again, how nice that there's room for both!