[Jacob-list] Primitive Jacobs UK?

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 11:43:23 EST 2001

Hi Gordon,
             We're all setting up the logs now!! As Breed Promotion Member
for the Eastern Region of the JSS, and the owner of the Royal Welsh Champion
2000 - believed to weigh over 250lb - I'm afraid I'm with the bigger-the
-better line. The Jacob is no longer a Rare Breed in the UK (around 30000
head) **precisely**because it has moved with the times and found a viable
market for **all** its products as well as being a great set of characters to
have about the place. The reason it is still a Primitive in the US is largely
due to the fact that the average American eats 1lb of lamb a year (so the
meat is currently less important), and they have to cope with a limited gene
pool, so their survival is via the homespinning/knitting market.
    However, if you insist, your best bet I suppose will be the Rare Breed
Parks and similar where they are usually a lot less selective over their
breeding stock and just want some lambs for the punters. Bear in mind though
that other problems may also have been overlooked such as split-eye, forward
growing horns (skull weakness), and so on.  Beyond that even unregistered
sheep in this country are very often much bigger than they were in the 1970s.
    TM-S