[Jacob-list] Lamb Chops

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Mon Dec 10 10:19:00 EST 2001

My favorite marinade is to use sherry that I have stored sliced fresh ginger root in.[This works great, just slice the ginger root into quarter sized pieces like you would use for stir-fry, put them in a glass jar and fill the jar with sherry, cover and store for months in the fridge.] Mix the sherry with a good soy sauce and oil, and use it on mild meats like Jacob lamb or chicken breasts.

I find that when I remove the fell tissue from a leg of lamb before I bake it I significantly increase the likelihood that people will eat it and ask questions later. This has the additional benefit of allowing the marinade to come in direct contact with the meat instead of the fat and membrane layer. My favorite legolamb recipe is to process olive oil, soy sauce, rosemary, lemon thyme, and black pepper with a mortar and pestle and rub it into the lamb several hours before roasting.

Neal Grose

----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Spahr
  To: Jacob List Members
  Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 12:34 PM
  Subject: [Jacob-list] Lamb Chops

  After the discussion recently about feeding lambs for the freezer, I wanted to report that our lamb chops are tender.  This was a Romney x Bluefaced Leicester ram lamb who dressed out at 48 lbs.  The processing cost was $61.00 which seems high to me.  We took him off pasture in Sept., then fed alfalfa hay, and whole corn for the last 2 weeks.
  I marinated the chops in Teriyaki sauce overnight, browned them and then baked them in the oven for awhile.  I must admit that I still prefer pork chops, although the lamb chops were good.  I need to experiment with other recipes. I have not tried the ground lamb or leg of lamb yet.  A 76 year old German lady told me to marinate the leg of lamb in buttermilk overnight.  My brother-in-law said his wife basted the Jacob leg of lamb we gave him in apricot jam and he ate the entire leg himself!  Any more good recipes to share?

                                                            Mary Spahr