[Jacob-list] Re: Showing Jacobs

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 13:26:57 EDT 2001

Ooops, I wrote a response and forgot to include the whole list. Our fair
in Douglas County, Southern Oregon, discourages the 4H kids from showing
horned sheep, but they haven't banned them, yet.  They get thrown into
the other wool class and for the past three years my son's Jacobs have
been judged against Romneys and a couple of Shetlands. My son has chosen
to compete open class from now on, because there are usually more wool
breeds and separate classes for Jacobs at open class competitions like
Black Sheep and Oregon Flock and Fiber. Because he is signed up for 4H,
he records all of the shows he competes in, in his 4H record book along
with any demonstrations or presentations whether they are done for other
4H clubs or for the general public.
Also, someone mentioned the traits you don't "see" at shows, like
mothering ability. Our Fair (for 4Her's) has a class called "ewe with
production records". You present the ewe and the judge looks at her
condition, udder, etc and looks over the child's paperwork and notes on
breeding, lambing, and mothering ability to determine the winning ewe.
The same ewe may be presented more than one year, and the judge is able
to see how the child has tracked the ewe's performance over the years.
All breeds are judged together for this class, but breed/size of the ewe
is of no importance in this one.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre