[Jacob-list] Lobster Claws

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 27 12:18:06 EDT 2001

In my 4 years of breeding Jacobs I have not had any fused horns until this
year.  Of our 8 lambs, 4 had very close or fused horns on at least one side.
Most of them have grown together and actually look sort of nice now, but all
are different.  The messiest set is the ewe lamb who is only fused on only
one side.  The lateral one by itself broke off once and regrew but her other
horns have different curls and seem to go in different directions.  Two, a
ewe and ram, now look to be two horned except for the "lobster claw" tip on
one of the ram lamb's sides.  The ewe's double horns are very flat and close
to her head and you can barely tell they are fused anymore.  The 4th looks
two horned except her horns come out closer to the top of her head and stick
up straight like a 4 horned sheep but with telltale double tips.

The 4 are sired by 3 different rams, 1 4H and 2 2H, but only one has a
grandmother who is fused on one side - with the lobster claw look, but
otherwise big strong horns for a 4H ewe.   Her whether lamb has very nice
widely spaced 2 horns as did her son last year.  None of the others have
fused or lobster claw horns in their background that I know of.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, OH
hettick.1 at osu.edu