[Jacob-list] Jacobs at fairs in general

Paul and Kate Survis kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Sat Aug 25 23:46:13 EDT 2001

Last year my daughter showed Jacob sheep in the 4 H showmanship, and in a
seperate "other"breed class for conformation.  The showmanship class caused
quite a stir...but of course with no competition she got lots of
grandchampions in "other breeds"!! I am sure there were snickers, but mostly
I heard the curiosity, and interest.  It was an excellent forum for teaching
people about different breeds of sheep.  This year Emma was mostly doing
horse, and had no time to tame down the twin ram lambs she plannned to show,
so unfortunately she took the market lamb that was easiest to tame....We
have a minimum weight of 110 pounds for market lambs at our fair...and we
could just maybe squeak in with a Jacob. The judge was very interested in
Jacobs, and commented on how well versed Emma was in the breed ( maybe
compared to him anyway).  We had alot of visitors and people who just
stopped by to see the sheep.  We felt it was an excellent forum for the
breed, and we did create enough interest to sell a ram this year, and maybe
have some competition in the Jacob breed 4H show next year....we hope so!!
We are not on a mission to replace Suffolk sheep with Jacob , but we do want
to spread the word about this breed.
 My son however is on a mission to replace Suffolk at the 4H shows though,
and has won reserve grand champion 2 years in a row with a white faced lamb
( albeit with a little Suffolk in the mix)  he can't stand the thought that
people told him he needed to raise Suffolk to win, and has done a great job
with his Dorset mixed breeds. We have about 120 market lambs shown at our
fair, so the competition is stiff. I guess we are the farm with the "odd
sheep" who don't seem to know what is the right thing to do.  We are doing
alright though!!:) Every once in the while it is good to throw in a little
diversity in the show. After all 4H is about learning by doing.  I would say
that showing Jacobs at 4 H is not for the faint of heart, but it can be a
lot of fun, and most people enjoy seeing a new breed.  We are all mostly far
mers after all, and we all have to think out of the box sometimes.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs