[Jacob-list] 4H & showing with horns

Paul and Kate Survis kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Sat Aug 25 23:57:30 EDT 2001

When my daughter showed the Jacobs in 4 H we had to assure the sheep chairman that the sheep would be exceptionally well behaved....hence the reason we did not bring them this year, we certainly didin't want to do anything to set us back. The Chairman told us that if there was any problem with the sheep she would have to send Emma home. I can totally understand that they wouldn't want a loose horned sheep running around, and we made every effort to leave a good impression of the breed.  As far as I could tell we did, and we were welcome to bring the sheep back this year, but as I mentioned in a previous post she didn't spend the time to get them as tame this year, and we opted not to take them.  I think that if you have a heart to heart with your sheep chairman, you may find they are willing to bend the rules if you promise not to disrupt their show!!! I was not able to ship my Jacob whethers on the truck with the other market lambs last week because of their horns, so there was a little bit of a setback for me due to the differences of the sheep. I will have to haul them 60 miles to auction in my own truck, and take what I get, rather than the coop price which was rather good in this shabby year.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs