[Jacob-list] 4H & showing with horns

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 12:30:38 EDT 2001

On the subject of showing with horns in upstate NY...near Albany...there has
never been mention made of the horns on any animal.  I had several of my
Jacobs and Shetland rams shown in 4H classes in many local fairs, and horns
seemed to be a non-issue.  There was a problem with a couple of judges
suggesting that the animals had not been fed properly...were "stunted"...with
resulting downgrading of showmanship marks.  Compared with the Dorsets, the
Jacobs did look fairly puny, but the issue was one of the judge understanding
the breed standard; these local judges can't know everything, especially if
that "everything" didn't grow on their farm.  I have made it a habit to
distribute copies of breed standards (such as they are), and things are
looking up.  There is still prejudice against small sheep...even in
showmanship classes where it should never exist.

It seems that the people who ban sheep with horns don't understand sheep very
well.  If inclined, a big Columbia can do far more damage with no horns than
a "puny" Jacob can do with horns.  Besides, do sheep really run about
attacking people and animals?  We should just as logically ban teeth on the
agility dogs, hooves on horses, horns on oxen, etc!

Jeanne Massey