[Jacob-list] Lobster Claws

Pavel314 Pavel314 at home.com
Sat Aug 25 21:44:10 EDT 2001

Royal wrote:

> An equally frustrating problem I had this year was "lobster claw"
> horns on ewe lambs.   It  happened on three  (out  of 16) ewe lambs.
> Each lamb was sired by a different ram.  I have never had this before
> and all of a sudden,  three!   And here I thought I had prefect Jacobs!

Although I prefer four symmetrical and distinct horns on my Jacobs, I
consider the lobster claw an interesting variation on the theme. It
seems hard to predict their offspring; if anyone has been keeping notes
on their lobster claw ewes, I'd be interested in hearing their breeding
patterns.

Diana, one of our ewes, is a lobster claw. We've bred her twice to
Sheridan, our four-horn ram. In Spring of 2000, she produced Molly, a
symmetrical four-horn ewe. For 2001, she produced Nimrod, a two-horn ram
(now wether), picture at  http://members.home.net/rbfarm/jrams.html .

Paul Intihar
Rainbow Farm
Joppa, Maryland