[Jacob-list] Jacobs at fairs in general

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Sat Aug 25 18:14:15 EDT 2001

In a message dated 8/25/01 3:43:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 2512 at nethawk.com
writes:

> Thank you for your opinion.
> I guess you don't understand 4-H.  Maybe you should consult your 4-H manual,
> children need to learn there are more types of sheep than suffolks, and they
> need to care for their project animal, thus the fair allows them to have
> some goals and responsibilty.  This list, last I knew, had people that show
> their Jacob sheep as well as some that choose not to, be it fairs, state
> shows or otherwise.  If you don't want your sheep going to the local 4-H
> fair with your children then by all means, don't.  I have a feeling that the
> article you are referring to has to do with "breed improvements" or
> something along that line, and our tiny 4-H fair doesn't require the need
> for improving our little flock. It is about the child being recognized for
> their project regardless of whether or not it is just like everyone else's
> or not.  You are comparing apples to oranges, but that is a whole different
> story.

I'm with Bonnie 100% on the issue of competitive showing of Jacobs at local
county fairs, and especially for 4-Hers. Do we want our Jacobs to remain
forever a rare breed whose future is shaky? If not, then we need to place
them in the public eye where potential new breeders will see them. And please
remember, 4-Hers are the breeders of the future. This breed will not grow by
keeping our sheep down on the farm and  selling only to other breeders. I see
little danger of any pressure to change the breed phenotypically by showing
locally. And I do want to stress "locally". It is only when exhibitors start
chasing after the 'glory' of capturing the big prize, the big win, at the
large shows that we need to become alarmed. That is where the pressure to
change  the breed will be. It isn't going to come from the 4-H kids, it's
going to come from the 'big kids' feeding big egos.

You 4-Hers and parents, hang in there with your Jacobs. It will change as
more people become accustomed to seeing them exhibited in 4-H. Suzy Ivan's 7
yr old son showed his second year in pee-wee showmanship this year at the
Midland Co. Fair. The only Jacob in the show ring among 25 or 30 kids with
Suffolks, and you could spot him (pun intended) a mile away. The comments
from the crowd varied from "what a cute lamb", "oh, look at the spotted one",
to "what breed is that, anway?". I also might add that I have several orders
from 4-H parents for Jacob lambs next spring to show in 4-H. Maybe we won't
be able to 'spot' Clay so easily next year.

Have fun showing!

Joan Franklin