[Jacob-list] showing - horns

R Unzicker runzicker at erols.com
Sat Aug 25 18:01:23 EDT 2001

Bonnie, I think you make some good points about children showing Jacobs as 4-H projects.

Also, on the "horny" issue  -  someone recently ask me if testosterone played any part in horn breakage.    One thought was that ewes, especially ewe lambs seem to break their horns more readily than ram lambs  due to less testosterone.    Not sure if this is statistically true but it certainly was the case in my flock this year.   Perhaps like many issues, there are multiple causes.   I have not had time to read all the comments on horns so if this has already been asked/mention, I apologize for the repetition.

An equally frustrating problem I had this year was "lobster claw" horns on ewe lambs.   It  happened on three  (out  of 16) ewe lambs.   Each lamb was sired by a different ram.  I have never had this before and all of a sudden,  three!   And here I thought I had prefect Jacobs!   Maybe it was the water.
Royal