[Jacob-list] Re:Horny question ;o]

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Sat Aug 25 11:25:59 EDT 2001

There have been many great comments on this topic, thanks MaryEllen. Allow me to throw a few more.
[1] Linda's comments on parallel vs. perpendicularly fused are good. We have not seen a problem with 2H phenotype/ 4H genotype rams such as Onan and our early ram Buster. We do see problems with overgrowth of the top horns against the laterals [even on rams that have "clearance" as yearlings] when the horns are massive. Overall I am happy with mediocre horns. You just can't stick big old horns on a little [primitive] head. Consequentially, we wind up with our more primitive rams having screwy horns since horn placement tends to be exaggerated on the rams.
[2] Peter Spellmeyer's comments on horn structure are informative and logical. Someone must have read this to our rams. Our 4 horned rams seem to adopt a different sparring style from the 2 horned rams. They are more likely to dominate by display and use a heads-up stance, making themselves look larger; and when sparring,are more likely to use a flank attach, moving to the side and swinging rather than just charging head-on. I have seen no evidence that 2 horned rams out-live their 4 horned counter parts. Rams tend to have shorter lifespans than ewes. This is generally true of other domestic breeds as well.
[3] Dystocia. Lambing ease as well as calving ease is influenced by a diverse number of factors. Head size is not so important as shoulder and hip size of lambs. Oversized babies can be a problem, but several breeds known for easy births such as Jersey cattle have the ability to limit fetal size. Do not overlook the importance of  that flexible broad ligament in the pelvis of the ewe. Every wild cow in Africa that doesn't have this is lion chow.
                                                  Neal Grose
P.S. So many good books, so little money. I need a reading list and a rating system.