[Jacob-list] horny question :o)

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Aug 24 08:49:25 EDT 2001

Visit our flock of Jacob Sheep
www.patchworkfibers.comwww.patchworkfibers.com

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:08:01 -0400, Mary Hansson wrote:

>AND.....Linda brought up the weepy horn and diminished blood flow to the
>laterals as being the problem with too-large or tight horns.......has this
>happened in 100% of these animals and at WHAT AGE?  Since many of you have
>seen pictures of the "infamous ram, Esau, I mention him here......My ram I
>am referring to standing here today (that made me question the whole horn
>size issue in the first place) looks like he will have much larger horns
>than Thom's Esau, but the same overall conformation---just that the horns
>are much larger.  This ram is 5 months old now and hasn't yet shown any
>signs of weepiness between the horns.
>
>As I mentioned here and to Royal and Neal and a few other breeders......I
>have watched this animal with fascination and lots of mental thought.  I
>have asked for input but when they come up with some thoughts.....as this
>one is rather a head-scratcher for me and apparently others as well.

Mary Ellen and all,

I didn't mean to imply that this happens in all cases.  I have had some great
ram lambs with touching horns that did not seem to have a problem.   Some with
closeset horns showed no flesh or hair between the horns - just more horn.  I
would think that the configuration would be considered fused.  The weepy horns
appear to horns that are "trying" to separate.  Perhaps they are not completely
fused.  Maybe Peter can explain what's going on under the skull.

I often keep "interesting" rams just to see what happens.  I personally don't
see anything wrong with doing a few experimental breedings if the ram appeals
to you and you are willing to cull if necessary. There is certainly a wide
range of opinion about what constitutes the "ideal" Jacob.  The wide range of
opinion keeps the Jacob diversified and can only be good for the breed. My own
personal preference is use rams with more spacing.  And that's all it is - my
personal preference.

Any chance of you sharing a picture of your boy?  Maybe a close up of the
horns?