[Jacob-list] horny question :o)

Mary Hansson iseespots1nc at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 24 08:08:01 EDT 2001

Hi all, and George in particular.

Where did you get the book?  I would love to get my grubby paws on that one.
It sounds like it is the "same old same old" and the mistakes of the past
are still being made today.  How does that old saying go....those who will
not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it in the future....??

The Research Project gathers information on all animals SUBMITTED.  We have
animals from every part of the country, and farms from most regions in the
country.  Breeders are always welcome to submit information on their farms
and any costs that are incurred are also tax deductible---I can provide the
letter to that effect, as we are set up as a "non-profit tax deductible"
organization.  The website is www.jacobresearchproject.org if anybody wants
to go check it out, and you can write me privately as well if you have
questions.

At the last check, we had over 300 animals in the study and I have a pile of
papers on my desk yet to put into the database.  I know of boxes of papers
that have not come in but are apparently done in various spots around the
country---it would be nice to get those in, but LOTS OF WORK when they
arrive :o).

Overall, it looks like the death rate among rams is quite high as compared
to ewes with just the information we have.  I don't have specific
information in sufficient quantities on HORN SIZE/Number/Conformation to
make generalized statements.  It seems that split eyelid and other
deformities reported constituted roughly 10% of the population reported.

I really must commend the farms that are participating!  They are taking the
time, doing a great job gathering lots of information that probably seems
rather useless just on one flock level....  Most flocks participating are
submitting ALL of their animals, and these are not CULL flocks or flocks
that are made up of animals bought from "down the road" or with unknown
background.  Those flocks would certainly be welcome to participate---and
that is not what I am getting at.  I am saying the issues like split eyelid,
jaw deformities, and OCD---which are the most commonly reported
issues---happen to all of us if we just take note.

I am hampered by my poor knowledge of ACCESS2000 yet, and that is part of
the reason I have not managed to get information back out of the database
that is probably there in sufficient quantities to start getting some
answers.  I have had a couple people over the past few years that have
either offered to set up the database or help out in other ways, but their
lives got too busy shortly after volunteering, so I am learning as I go.
The JRP board of directors would probably LOVE to have an offer of help.

AND.....Linda brought up the weepy horn and diminished blood flow to the
laterals as being the problem with too-large or tight horns.......has this
happened in 100% of these animals and at WHAT AGE?  Since many of you have
seen pictures of the "infamous ram, Esau, I mention him here......My ram I
am referring to standing here today (that made me question the whole horn
size issue in the first place) looks like he will have much larger horns
than Thom's Esau, but the same overall conformation---just that the horns
are much larger.  This ram is 5 months old now and hasn't yet shown any
signs of weepiness between the horns.

As I mentioned here and to Royal and Neal and a few other breeders......I
have watched this animal with fascination and lots of mental thought.  I
have asked for input but when they come up with some thoughts.....as this
one is rather a head-scratcher for me and apparently others as well.

MEH
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep
Renewable fleeces, loving friends.