[Jacob-list] Horns

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Wed Aug 22 12:38:59 EDT 2001

Interesting horn questions, Mary Ellen.   I have always disliked the
spindly, broken, misshapen horns of many 4H female Jacobs, and when I
view British Jacobs on their websites the sheep have much heavier,
sturdier horns - including the ewes.  However, it was brought to my
attention recently that their horns (British Jacobs)  are more rounded,
rather than flat in shape - indicating an  "improved" breed.  Since
Americans are fascinated with maintaining a breed in it's primitive
state, perhaps the weaker horns are the only option.  Or, if you like
good, solid, sturdy horns on females, stick with 2 horned sheep.
Certainly that doesn't answer the question of whether our desire to
maintain space between the horns is causing us to cull and preserve
smaller horns.  Also, how much does nutrition play a part in horn
density, caliber, etc?    And, incidentally, our 4H ram is missing a
lateral horn - the breeder we purchased him from said he lost it in a
fight - and his remaining lateral is a bit smaller in caliber than
some......and yes, he does have space between his top and side horns.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.