[Jacob-list] Strange Love

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Sat Apr 21 11:58:21 EDT 2001

Gary,

I wish our vet had told us that - before we spent the $100 to get "Flash" gelded.  Before the procedure we had suspected him of killing lambs and then finally did catch him in the act.  We intervened and were able to save that particular lamb.  Getting him gelded has at least curbed this disturbing behavior.  We were told to wait until he reached his full growth, so he was 3 yrs. old at the time we had it done.
Like Mary, I had also heard stories of llamas crushing ewes.  Flash has never paid much attention to our ewes, but really liked our pigs.  Luckily, the pigs were big enough that they did not get injured.  Oddly, he much preferred the red pig, the same color as himself.  Sometimes I think it is not fair to keep a guard llama and have him isolated from his own kind.

                                                        Mary