[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Thu Apr 12 15:13:46 EDT 2001

A few questions for the list (my invaluable source of information, much
of which is carefully filed away under topics in a notebook!!):
Do Jacob ewes having triplets typically reject one of the lambs?  How
many of you have had ewes successfully nurse and raise all three?  Also,
have you found that bottle-raised ewe lambs are lacking in mothering
instincts?  Have you had any incidences where a rejected ewe lamb, who
was subsequently bottle-fed, followed that pattern as an adult and
rejected a lamb of her own?And, with regard to triplet births, is one of
the triplet lambs typically a runt - substantially smaller, less
vigorous, than the others?   And, Edd Bissell, I know you had many Jacobs
and one of your goals was for them to survive on their own without much
human intervention - did you have triplet births, and did they survive?
(By the way, Edd, I bought your video and it is a great source of
information---those of you who have had Jacobs for many  years are a
great source of information for newcomers to this breed, especially info
regarding the early US Jacob, the early lines, etc. - and we "thank
you".)
Thanks everybody for your help!

Sue Martin
Stonecroft