[Jacob-list] Lenice's letter to the authorities...

George L.Benedict benedict at snet.net
Thu Apr 12 11:36:44 EDT 2001

 Dear Mr Charles Milne,
With reference to my previous correspondence of the 29th March 2001, (copy enclosed). I am writing to update you on Cauldronlea's situation.  We are now within a 3 km cull zone. A case of fmd. was confirmed at Westfield cottage, Waterbeck on Monday. I am not contiguous with this outbreak.

In view of this I would respectfully like to propose a more severe course of action than outlined previously.

Plan.

Cull all Pedigree Middlewhite sows and piglets and the Toggenburg goats with kids.

Cull all the Pedigree Coloured Shetland Sheep with the exception of 12 breeding ewes and hoggs which form the main nucleus of this unique breeding flock. In anticipation of this the stock in question has already been isolated from all other sheep and is under strict self imposed quarantine.

May I remind you that I am the ONLY flock of SSBG Pedigree Coloured Shetland Sheep in the whole of the UK that is M.V. and E.A.E accredited, scrapie monitored and with an extremely high scrapie resistant base. Over some years this selective breeding programme has taken great care not to just concentrate on one trait. I have endeavoured to establish a high scrapie resistance but not at the expense of other traditional coloured Shetland Sheep characteristics i.e.: - wool, colour, exceptionally rare markings and conformation.

All the farms surrounding me have also received cull notices from one outbreak or another so I would present no risk of contamination to my neighbours.

I reiterate that I am prepared to comply with any quarantine/ control measures you see fit, including a full Risk Assessment of my farm and the surrounding area.

Please give my submission your utmost consideration.

 Yours sincerely,

Lenice Bell.