[Jacob-list] portable electric fences, and dogs

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 08:50:23 EDT 2000

I was wondering if anyone has used portable electric fences to confine
Jacobs.  We have a big garden area that is overgrown with high grass (our
lawn mower was broken down a good part of the summer).  I would like to put
the sheep in there to eat it up without putting up a permanent fence around
the whole thing.  There is good chain link on 2 sides.  The kind of fence I
saw in the catalogues is woven wire with built in poles.  I would also like
to know if these fences are effective in keeping out dogs.
I'd appreciate it if anyone with any experience with these fences could
advise me.

After reading all the bad stuff about dogs, I felt I should say something
good.  I was out walking my son's show lamb in our back fields a few days ago
and my border collie came with us.  I saw him alert to something on the side
of the path and make a wide, careful, cirle around it. I stopped short and
listened, and soon I heard an ominous rattling sound.  I took a couple of
steps closer and saw a big rattlesnake curled up ready to strike in the high
grass right by the path about 10 feet away.  I had been hurrying along with
the lamb without paying attention to stuff like that, and it is highly likely
that if the dog hadn't been with us, either me or the lamb would have been
bitten.  There was no one else at home to help me either, so my dog may well
have saved my life.

Sharon