[Jacob-list] Dog Problems in Michigan

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 21:31:42 EDT 2000

Hi,

In Upstate NY where I live, the law is quite clear about dealing with loose
dogs who harass livestock.  The dogs can be destroyed by the owner of the
livestock, and the owner of the dog is required to pay damages to the owner
of the livestock if injury or loss has occurred.  I was paid $100 by an owner
of a dog who repeatedly chased my ewes, causing one ewe to abort.  I had
warned the owner and called the town office several times, so my position was
quite clear.  I hate to kill dogs, I must say, so I try to do everything I
can to avoid that situation.  I have used llamas, a donkey, and knockdown
powerful electric fences...all solutions that have created their own
problems.

My area is still quite rural, so there is real respect for the farmer.  With
encroaching summer homes and a determined back-to-nature movement, I am sure
that respect will suffer.  At this point, however, the law is on my side!

Jeanne Massey