[Jacob-list] Re: Sheep ID, misc and adv.

Marilyn McBirney marilynm at cnip.net
Sun Sep 17 19:42:02 EDT 2000

Wow- I've been off the list for months but it sure is great to hear from
all these Jacob breeders.  I got cut off accidently and had a hard time
getting back on for some reason. Last time I was trying to force a ewe to
accept her twin by tying her up and getting everyone's feedback.  Anyway
after 5 days (boy, did I feel bad about that) she did begrudgingly (sp?)
accept him and he did great.  Will she learn that it's OK to take care of
2?? (This was the 2nd year she abandoned one of the twins, the first time I
just hand raised the ewe lamb).  I'm giving her one more chance since she
has such a nice fleece.

As for the sheep ID question I'd guess a Barbados Blackbelly cross with
???.

I have an opportunity to travel to Madagascar with friends next year and in
order to afford it I must sell more sheep.  : (      I have 2 and 4 horn
ram lambs available, one of the 4 horned lambs looks great - good spacing
and balance, black muzzle and eye patches, black spots on legs, nice
spotting and good fleece, the other one looks OK-good- his horns are not as
balanced, and no black on his legs.  I also have 5 ewe lambs left and need
to sell some of the ewe flock.  I haven't put rams with ewes yet but the
ewes could be sold as bred ewes.  I would be willing to make a deal for
larger groups and can deliver within 200 miles. Most of the flock comes
from Maverick/Rockies lineages and a ram from Joy Farm.  The ewe flock now
numbers 47 and I should cut back to 25 so there is lots to chose from!
Please email me privately for more info.  Thanks!

Marilyn McBirney
Rising Sun Farm
Pueblo CO
marilynm at cnipl.net