[Jacob-list] goats

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Sep 4 07:51:20 EDT 2000

My sheep are much more prone to eat bark than the goats were.  The
goats were more likely to demolish saplings and break off any
branches they could reach.  No one seems to like the bark on our
walnut trees, but the sheep love maple bark.  They will butt a maple
tree until the get a break in the bark and then just peel it off.
The goats would certainly destroy fruit trees as quickly as they
could!  Groucho, one of the rams, has a serious affinity for pear
trees and will find away around whatever guards I put around the
trees.
My biggest problem with goats (and why I finally sold them off) was
that they were so aggressive towards the sheep.  It would probably
have been better if I'd kept more goats so that they would have been
more of a herd. Perhaps then they would have established a pecking
order within their own species.   As it was, the goats broke horns on
the sheep, knocked pregnant ewes to the ground, and injured a ewe
lamb so badly that she will probably always limp.
I had Nubians and never saw any lice.

Linda