[Jacob-list] goats

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 11:23:40 EDT 2000

We are going to be fencing more of our land soon as our flock of sheep has
grown to 10 with the addition of the 2 lovely ewes and ram I recently got
from Mary Spahr.   Anyway, we were thinking of getting a couple of goats to
help clear out some of the stuff the sheep don't eat.  I have some
reservations about goats, though.  In some areas we have some nice big
trees...hickory, oak, black walnut... and we are afraid that the goats might
eat the bark off them.  Has anyone with goats had a problem with this?  Also
I heard that goats can have lice that could spread to the sheep.  Should this
be a concern, or is this one of those things that can happen but most likely
won't?  Are their worming needs the same as for sheep?  Can you give them the
same wormers?

Our ram is currently in a field right next to the ewes with a sturdy chain
link fence in between.  He hasn't been acting fiesty or anything and doesn't
seem to even notice the ewes most of the time.  He is young -- 1 year old.
This is our first ram so I don't quite know what to expect.  Judging from
what others have been saying, it seems that he should be feeling a bit more
manly.  Is this anything to be concerned about?  Will his hormones get
rolling once he is in with the ewes?

Thanks.

Sharon