[Jacob-list] goats

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Fri Sep 1 12:55:25 EDT 2000

I have cashmere goats (fluffy wool, a little smaller than dairy goats)
that I run with my Jacobs. We use the same wormers, we worm regularly,
and do not have problems with lice. Goats are harder on the fences than
the sheep. They prefer to go under (butt the field fence until its loose)
but will sometimes try going over. This behavior seems to dissipate over
time (the last time we had one go over the fence, it was a wether that
was getting beat on by the rams/bucks and wanted to be anywhere else).
Kids sometimes stick their heads through the fence, get stuck, and need
to be rescued. Look for goats with horns that turn outward, they don't
try to put their heads through the fence.

As long as there are better things to eat, my goats don't eat the bark
off the trees. They do eat the oak leaves and pine needles as far up as
they can reach (about 6 feet). I read that sheep consume 70% grass and
30% forage (brush), while goats consume 70% forage and 30% grass. It took
our goats just two years to rid the property of daisies, thistles, and
dandelions. They are still working on the blackberries and poison oak.
Gardens are a real treat. We had to hot wire around the outside to keep
the goats out.

Goats require more protein than sheep. They should have 14-16% protein in
their diets (alfalfa is 15%). Dairy goats are usually given 16-18%
protein feed.

Goats are also a herd animal and do not like to be alone. Sheep are not
their herd. So, you need to have at least two goat does. My goat buck
does well in with the Jacob rams, in fact he rules, although they never
get into any serious butting matches.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre