[Jacob-list] ram fall behaviors

iseespots iseespots at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 2 09:52:41 EDT 2000

Hi,

I had a ram once who seemed to be very discreet.  He would do all the pawing, grunting, lip-smacking, etc. routines and be ready to mount the ewe----but he would look around to make sure nobody was watching.  If he caught sight of me, he would just walk off.  If he knew I was around from the beginning, there would never be an indication that there was a girl within 40 miles from him.  I just used him one year, and Thom Simmons and Kate Shirley happen to have some of his daughters.  If he hadn't been SO irritating, the whole routine would have been downright funny.

Some rams just are quietly effective while others are like love-sick teenagers.  In sheep, I prefer the latter group.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.