[Jacob-list] Re: coyotes and horses

Elizabeth K. Norsworthy ekn at together.net
Wed Oct 18 10:18:22 EDT 2000

After reading Sue's question, have to chime in about horses and coyotes. We've found that our morgan mare -- the "alpha" of all the farm animals - has thoroughly intimidated the coyotes. We literally have coyote "surround-sound" each evening but the mare has conditioned them to stay well beyond the pastures. I don't believe that just any horse can achieve this; our quarterhorse gelding doesn't seem to have an ounce of guardian instincts.

                                                                                                                    Lisa Norsworthy
                                                                                                                    Winterbrook Farm
                                                                                                                    Concord, Vermont